Jagware
LinkoVitch

Windows 7 and Jag Emu's

LinkoVitch    0

Hi

Are there any Jag Emu's out there that play nice with Windows 7? I tried firing one up a while ago and it just died on its arse and was a bit unhappy.. anyone got any to work?

Zerosquare    10
Hi

Are there any Jag Emu's out there that play nice with Windows 7? I tried firing one up a while ago and it just died on its arse and was a bit unhappy.. anyone got any to work?

I don't know if Project Tempest works with Windows 7.

Virtual Jaguar used to have lots of problems under Windows Vista, but IIRC, they did eventually fix it (which should probably make it work for Windows 7 as well), though you had to get it from their source code tree, as it wasn't available as a standard downloadable version. I think there's a topic about it on the official VJ forums.

LinkoVitch    0

thanks guys, I'll give em a try.

See how they do on Win7 64 bit... why they put 64 bit on a machine with 3GB of RAM I have no idea.. :/

Sauron    0
You should be thankful it's this way... Some manufacturers build machines with 4 GB of RAM or more, and bundle them with a 32-bit version of Windows Home Edition !

Very true! My workstation at my previous job was one such system. :blink:

FYI, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on my tower (Athlon II x4 2.9Ghz, 4MB RAM) and PT works just fine. I haven't even tried Virtual Jag on here yet.

LinkoVitch    0

Tried it out last night, PT works a treat for me also :) YAY! it even runs my code! :D

Thanks for the help guys, I can now do even more coding as don't always need a jag handy.

Just remember, your code might not be buggy:

PT doesnt:

....handle objects clipped at the top of the screen.

....handle any type of RMW CRY masking.

....have even remotely cycle accurate timing (so, go crazy and overload that vblank!)

....show objects on the correct Y line

....and many, many more!

But its still pretty good :)

Matmook    1
....handle any type of RMW CRY masking.

I use RMW bit in CRY mode in LadyBugged and it works in PT...but perhaps I'm lucky ! :lol:

LinkoVitch    0

Oh yeah I know its far from perfect, but at least can give you something to play with or simple demo for those not blessed with a Jag setup to see it on.

I found it was forgetting whole rows of objects if I just resetted the emulation, but at least it ran my code :)

Matmook    1
Same thing here -- the RMW effects in LadyBug don't work correctly in PT 0.95 for me.

post-194-1300867073_thumb.png

The "moving circle" on the right of "new game" on this screenshot use the RMW bit.

post-194-1300867088_thumb.png

The level background use the RMW bit too for the transparency.

But perhaps we don't talk about the same thing...It will not be the first time I don't understand something... :D

Zerosquare    10

I just tested it again on PT 0.95 and you're right, it does work fine ! My memory is failing me...

Actually, this is very interesting, because RMW doesn't work correctly in PT for most other games (for example, the floating logos in Do The Same have a transparent background, instead of translucent)...

Matmook    1
I just tested it again on PT 0.95 and you're right, it does work fine ! My memory is failing me...

Actually, this is very interesting, because RMW doesn't work correctly in PT for most other games (for example, the floating logos in Do The Same have a transparent background, instead of translucent)...

You're right !

The only difference with DTS and LB is the depth of the bitmap used for those "mask" : 16 bit in DTS, 8 or 4 bit in LB...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.