Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
Orion_

VBCC for Jaguar

Orion_    1

Reading http://dhs.nu/

I just saw that a new version of VBCC is available and support output for Jaguar !

This is great, because this compiler is much more easy to use and less "heavy" than gcc, also the compiled code seems to run a bit faster than gcc.

I was thinking that this could be a good alternative to GCC on Jaguar, also for the future JagCF DSP, I think we can retarget the C compiler to produce CF DSP asm more easily than Gcc, and then why not directly generate a Jaguar/JagCF executable because the linker already support it.

Another thing that came to my mind is the Removers library, which is a bit painful to setup on Windows using GCC + Mac/Aln.

maybe we should try to port the lib using the VBCC environment and that should give an easy to setup C sdk for Jaguar !

usable on Atari/PC/Amiga because VBCC support all those platform !

SebRmv    2

Great news indeed!

I'll have to look at it, definitely.

belboz    0

If you look at my new Win2K/XP compatible Jaguar dev environment for Windows you will find it has been using VBCC for awhile now. The reason vbcc supports the Jaguar is that Frank Wille (who works on VBCC/vlink/vasm) added support for the Jaguar for me. He was awesome to put the work in to get it compatible with the Jaguar and its object file format.

I was looking into porting Seb's library to it. There were a few little issues with the way VC handles things, but it should be pretty easy. I just got side tracked.

But if you check out my site linked below you can download a Windows installer of mine, that installs VBCC, and other jaguar tools, sets up the ENV variables and everything. It is all setup for targeting for the Jaguar. There is a readme that goes over usage and a quick little sample to test the environment.

The only drawback on Windows 2K and XP is that mac and aln don't work so you need to use smac and sln (unless your going to use DOSBOX for mac and aln). smac is pretty far along so it is usually fine. you can use vlink instead of sln too.

If someone ports Seb's library to VBCC I can include it in a new release of my installer.

http://www.hillsoftware.com/downloads

Also I have thrown together a bootable Linux CD (using Slax as the base Linux). It is 330MB or so ISO and you can boot it into a nice little KDE GUI and all the dev tools from Atari for Linux are there (mac,aln,rdbjag, wdb), along with smac, sln, jcp, gcc and vbcc. If its ok with Seb I want to put his libraries on there also.

It makes a nice CD to boot from a PC and have full access to a Jaguar development system all on the CD. You need a PC with at least 256MB of RAM. It also can mount Windows/linux partitions.

SebRmv    2

Ok belboz, I was not sure you did the port to vbcc ;)

Basically, I think the "difficult" part is to respect the calling conventions of "my" gcc.

We'll see if I get some time to do the adaptation.

belboz    0

Well Frank did most of the work. I just gave him info on the Jaguar, and he did some source work. Then all I had to do was retarget for Windows and tweak a few things.

Seb, do you care if I include your library on a live linux CD for Jag development?

SebRmv    2
Well Frank did most of the work. I just gave him info on the Jaguar, and he did some source work. Then all I had to do was retarget for Windows and tweak a few things.

Seb, do you care if I include your library on a live linux CD for Jag development?

No problem for me. Maybe I should release the debugged version of my library first ;) (skunkboard I/O)

belboz    0

Sure, no problem. When you update the library I will update the working live CD I have now. Once I get a couple testers after that, I can make it available to the masses. I take it your Jaguar C library is up to date?

SebRmv    2
Sure, no problem. When you update the library I will update the working live CD I have now. Once I get a couple testers after that, I can make it available to the masses. I take it your Jaguar C library is up to date?

Yes, I think the jlibc is up-to-date, indeed.

If I got some time tonight, I'll package the updated version of rmvlib.

Do you need binary distribution?

edit: which of vbcc archives should I take to install it on linux?

belboz    0

Binary makes it easier for building the CD quickly (if thats not too much trouble for you).

As for vbcc...

You can get the latest snapshot at

http://www.compilers.de/vbcc.html

Get the vasm snapshot at

http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vasm/

And the vlink snapshot at

http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vlink/

Honestly though for Linux and OS X based systems I think it is better to stick with GCC. For Windows users vbcc is a much easier to setup environment, but vbcc still has some issues with some source. The guys behind vbcc are constantly working on improving it, but I have pretty much stuck to GCC on Linux and OS X because of the reliability.

vbcc is supposedly one of the easier compilers to retarget to other architectures, so for someone with the time and knowledge it would be possible to retarget vbcc for the RISC's in the Jag.

Yes, I think the jlibc is up-to-date, indeed.

If I got some time tonight, I'll package the updated version of rmvlib.

Do you need binary distribution?

edit: which of vbcc archives should I take to install it on linux?

belboz    0

Yeah they are. Frank will probably send you the source. Very nice guy. The latest sources are not posted since the vbcc main author controls that. He doesn't even let Frank post the latest vbcc sources on his site.

I just did a Linux build of all three sources (vbcc, vasm, vlink). I will be updating my Windows dev installer with those binaries when I recompile for Windows

belboz    0

I rebuilt the latest vbcc/vasm/vlink and made the necessary tweaks to get it working well for the Jaguar. Built versions for Windows and Linux.

They all seem to work very well. When seb has his removers library updated for Linux I will archive up the Linux build of it everything and put it on my web site.

The Windows version is good to go and is an installer that updates my previous release on my website (or does a full install if you haven't installed the older version). If there are any interested testers for the Windows version let me know.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this