Gcc Setup Trouble...

ray

hi there mates,

i'm obviously having some trouble in getting gcc v2.6 (AGPU/M68K version) to run properly after all.

i've modified the SPECS files and also setup the needed environment variables. gcc seems to hang into running madmac though, meaning it will produce (a rather unoptimized btw.) assembly source from the compiled c-source but then nothing happens.

i'm using dosBox so this might be the problem, i'm not sure. invoking madmac manually works of course but the gcc processor seems to have trouble, here's one of my SPECS files though (i thought the first line should be -cmac -fb, but that doesn't seem to help, either :( )

*asm:

-cgcc -fb

*asm_final:

*cpp:

-nostdinc -Ic:/dokume~1/reimund/desktop/Atari/stuff/jaguar/include

*cc1:

-fno-builtin

*cc1plus:

*endfile:

*link:

*lib:

%{g*:-lg} %{!p:%{!pg:-lc}}%{p:-lc_p}%{pg:-lc_p}

*startfile:

%{pg:gcrt0.o%s}%{!pg:%{p:mcrt0.o%s}%{!p:crt0.o%s}}

*switches_need_spaces:

*signed_char:

%{funsigned-char:-D__CHAR_UNSIGNED__}

*predefines:

-DJAGUAR -Amachine(JAGUAR) -DAGPU -Acpu(AGPU)

*cross_compile:

helpful suggestions are really welcome,

regards,

ray

Hi ray,

I unfortunately can't offer advice since I never used GCC on this platform, I just wanted to tell you might have to wait a bit for others to reply, since :

• Most of us just came back from the Atari Connexion 2006, so we're still a bit tired ;)
  • AFAIK, the majority of coders here only use pure ASM, so they probably won't be able to help either (don't ask GT Turbo what he thinks of C, for example :P )
BTW, I saw your group's demo (the one with the sung lyrics) at the AC ; I was really amazed, it's truly an art piece :yes:

[*]AFAIK, the majority of coders here only use pure ASM, so they probably won't be able to help either (don't ask GT Turbo what he thinks of C, for example :P )

Zerosquare is allright, don't ask me for C problems, perhaps Cts can help you.

BTW, I saw your group's demo (the one with the sung lyrics) at the AC ; I was really amazed, it's truly an art piece :yes:

Zerosquare is talking about Beams :)

GT :poulpe:

[*]Most of us just came back from the Atari Connexion 2006, so we're still a bit tired ;)

ok i will be patient. btw. i've seen some pictures, also of the CF presentation, a shame i couldn't have been there.

[*]AFAIK, the majority of coders here only use pure ASM, so they probably won't be able to help either (don't ask GT Turbo what he thinks of C, for example :P )

yes, i used to be (and still am in some situations) a complete asm maniac, and of course i see where it makes sense to write handoptimized asm code, which is also very interesting and neccessary in many situations on the jaggy - i agree. but on the other hand i've grown a bit tired/lazy of/by coding large projects completely in 100% asm even where some quick lines of C would have made sense at some places. and hence i thought it would be nice to have a running GCC setup, that's my whole point ;)

thanks, i'm glad you liked beams.

regards,

ray

Hi Ray!

DosBox? ....ahhmm... unless they did some quantum leap coding to get it out of the nonworking beta stage I would sugest WMWare instead... (viritual pc perhapps) .....I know Mr.Spock uses WMware and runs w98 and it works great..(even with an alpine). (iirc wmware is now freeware (?).

anyhow I hope you use the latest environment, if not you can get it here:

http://www.cs.umu.se/~mat97jkn/tng/

and if someone have newer versions of the programms, please concact either one of us..

Perhapps that setup can help you ? ......(would also like an independent person to try and install it and se if it works (i dont remember if he wrote a tutorial on how to install it or not...). apparently all ataris C programs compile ok in the code (he did alot of work to get them to compile) ...and iirc even the gpu C compiler works...

hope it helps.

cheers

/Sym

hi there symmetry,

DosBox? ....ahhmm... unless they did some quantum leap coding to get it out of the nonworking beta stage I would sugest WMWare instead... (viritual pc perhapps) .....

in fact DosBox works rather great, it runs madmac, aln and other legacy programs flawlessly (even quake and such), it also runs gcc (both the 68k and the gpu compiler) but halts at the point it is about to run madmac+aln for assembling and linking the produced sources, so it's just a stone's throw away from working it seems (as i mentioned, the compiler actually manages to output decent-looking madmac asm sources into the temp/source directry from the processed c-sources, but manually compiling all of these doesn't appear like a feasible solution to me).

anyhow I hope you use the latest environment, if not you can get it here:

yes, i do.

thanks for your hints though.

regards,

ray

Last time i tested dosbox was when it came up howto use wdb & an alpine dev env under xp... but then dosbox didnt have PPport support.....? so it was pritty pointless to use it for alpine dev. ..

But i have a pure W98 mashine (LCD PC) that works now.. even though I would like to get it running under xp.. and the only way i know howto is via a w98 emulator like wmware...

ahh well.. sorry i couldnt help more.

cheers

Last time i tested dosbox was when it came up howto use wdb & an alpine dev env under xp... but then dosbox didnt have PPport support.....? so it was pritty pointless to use it for alpine dev. ..

ah that's annoying, for a BJL setup, things work well since zerosquare has already written a windows 2000/XP compatible uploader...yo might also want to try allowio.exe providing direct LPT-acces to get your alpine tools going under windows NT/2000/XP it also works with the BJL-uploader.

concerning the gcc-setup i got things running well now by just removing the -B (BINDIR) directive from the commandline ;)...cheers!

regards,

ray

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.