Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
GT Turbo

Madmac, Aln, .....

GT Turbo    5

Yesterday, i have asked SebRmv to give me some infos bout using Aln, and some clues about Atari Dev Kit.

It was because Devpac cannot align code on some boundaries (The CNOP directive isn't implemented :blink: ) like 4,8,16 and i have just done one try. Because before i do everything with Devpac even 68000 assembling, just Gpu code was done with MadMac and included in my sources, but when i have used Atari Kit, one surprise between Devpac Prg and Aln Prg some kilobytes of difference :

Devpac : 46 Kbytes

Atari Kit : 146 Kbytes

Ouch !! So when you use Bjl uploader you're waiting a little bit more when using Atari Kit than Devpac !!

GT :poulpe:

What? ....are you saying that ALN created ~3times as big code? ...(compiling the exact same code as on devpac)?....

If so then.... i would realy like to know what fills the other two 46Kb parts to make it 146Kb...

This is interesting but horrifying... that are just not supposed to happen... not when compiling assembler...

(if it was C i could understand)..

If you can check out the difference between the 2 codes and see what differs that would be nice to know.

regards

GT Turbo    5
What? ....are you saying that ALN created ~3times as big code? ...(compiling the exact same code as on devpac)?....

If i assemble the same code with MadMac (Without linking), the .PRG will do 300 Kilobytes, i think there is labels in for linking, that's why it's big, but after linking the .PRG will do only 146 Kbytes ( :lol: )

If you can check out the difference between the 2 codes and see what differs that would be nice to know.

regards

I will try to do it but only after the Atari Connexion, because i have too much code to finish ;)

GT :poulpe:

And the devpac result of the exact same code is 46Kb? ....verry odd... you must have some flag set somewhere to include... stuff for the debugger or something...

how are your mac/aln lines defined?

took some from an old code and my lines that work on bjl look something like this:

MACFLAGS = -v -fb -g -rd

ALNFLAGS = -n -v -v -v -rd -o bootcd.prg -a $(STADDR) x x

I have never compared the result with devpac.. but my point beeing that when you code assembler the compiler should produce the exact same instruction as you wrote no matter what compiler used... (..unless perhapps devpac has some optimisation flags set.... but not raw code!....

Ahh.. wait... it might be that they differ in the data definitions... if you have a ".bss" are on devpac that part is never included in the compile... if you dont the dataspace will be included in file size making it huge..

perhapps you have something similar on madmac... but on devpac you have the .bss statement.. ?

ahh well... will not disturb your connexion coding! ;) thats more important =)

cheers

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this