Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
Fadest

[project W] A Warlord-like Game Demo

Fadest    0

In the not so old videogame history, there are some myths or legends that will never die.

Warlords is one of them.

Go to a retro gaming convention and set 4 players in front of a VCS with the amazing Warlords and the also amazing Medieval Mayhem and everyone will come and stop in order to look at the game, and play one, even if retro gaming is a synonym of Playstation or Dreamcast for them.

This is the kind of game that you would like to have on your beloved <insert favorite device> system. This is the kind of game that some programmers say they may want to recode, just for fun.

Once again, last week, we spent some time on Medieval Mayhem on an incredible VCS box with flat monitor included. Once again, someone said that a Jaguar version would be nice. But this time, we decided to stop talking and start coding. So we just sat in front of our computers, digged some graphisms from previously unreleased games.

I went with the jaguar version during a part of the night and the morning, in order to let people try it during the afternoon.

So enclosed is the result of this part-night work, a simple Warlods-like game.

Of course, there is a lot of things that are missing, there are still a lots of bugs, and the code is so crappy that in 2 weeks, I won't be able to understand why I decided to add these nasty lines at 6AM, just in order to make it work. And maybe Seb will no more have his headache just because he spent some time in the afternoon, trying to understand code and debug some collision routs :D

Take this ROM as a test code, this is not a safe basis for a Warlord clone, not even a promise to realse such a game, but I would be stupid to forget it just because it is badly written.

Have fun and do not hesitate to give some feedbacks.

ProjectW.zip

Fredifredo    0

Wow ! very nice ! :yes:

Congratulation to Seb and you for this fantastic amazing game ! :o

I hope they will be a real release with improved graphs ...

ps : I'm alone today so it's not so funny for me ...

SebRmv    2
Wow ! very nice ! :yes:

Congratulation to Seb and you for this fantastic amazing game ! :o

I hope they will be a real release with improved graphs ...

ps : I'm alone today so it's not so funny for me ...

All the credits go to Fadest. My contrib is almost empty...

SebRmv    2
In the not so old videogame histroy, there are some myths or legends that will never die.

Warlords is one of them.

Unfortunately :D

Fadest    0
All the credits go to Fadest. My contrib is almost empty...

I knew you did not want to be related to this piece of crappy code :lol:

But even if you don't like Warlords, you may like to test this new compilation, with some minor changes from the last version you saw yesterday :whistling:

Matmook    1
D'oh! whats the starting address for this game?

Start address : $4000

... In 24h ... Impressive !

Great Job Fadest !!

Fadest    0
Does this run on an NTSC Jag

Not tested yet as we didn't have one this week-end. Can you give me feedback if you test it, please ?

and are you going to add rotary control sport?

Yas, that would be a great idea. Other solution would be to use same paddles than VCS (180° only instead of 360 rotary) because as LBM41 said, Warlord is for 180° controller, not 360°. As he is one of the biggest fan of VCS in France (you chould see his VCS cas, with LCD display incorporated, his homemade joystick, and all his stuff, impressive!!!), and fond of Warlords & co, I tend to believe him :lol: . He would like to work on kind of 180° paddle for Jaguar...

Not tested yet as we didn't have one this week-end. Can you give me feedback if you test it, please ?

Yas, that would be a great idea. Other solution would be to use same paddles than VCS (180° only instead of 360 rotary) because as LBM41 said, Warlord is for 180° controller, not 360°. As he is one of the biggest fan of VCS in France (you chould see his VCS cas, with LCD display incorporated, his homemade joystick, and all his stuff, impressive!!!), and fond of Warlords & co, I tend to believe him :lol: . He would like to work on kind of 180° paddle for Jaguar...

Can do! I've have the day off and I've already VOTED! :lol:

Fadest    0

Great. Thanks you very much.

Yes no sound, no music.

This is just because I had no mod and no sounds in stock to add to the game, and the only one musician interested by the project at the show was not here on sunday and had to leave before the beginning of programmation.

Fadest    0

No, nothing new.

I have a little problem with this. In my mind, priority is S.PA.C.E, then Dazed, then eventually Project W...

I guess I can deal with S.P.A.C.E and an action game in parallel as S.P.A.C.E. will be soon in balancing stage (which will be very complex... but not really technical or programming issues), but not all 3 at same time, this would be the best thing to make nothing.

But it seems this small snippet of code got far more feedbacks that the others, so maybe I should reconsider priorities.

But even so, do not expect new demo before an eventual graphist joined on board, because, as FrediFredo said, the game need improved graphs ,and new playing modes, options...

Oh, and of course musics & sounds, but someone asked me already how to compose for Jag.

This week, I needed to calm down after weeks of pre-RGC rush for S.P.A.C.E and hard night coding at RGC :D

So I didn't really think about it yet.

Guess I will also need to find proper names for S.P.A.C.E and Project W :D

No, nothing new.

I have a little problem with this. In my mind, priority is S.PA.C.E, then Dazed, then eventually Project W...

I guess I can deal with S.P.A.C.E and an action game in parallel as S.P.A.C.E. will be soon in balancing stage (which will be very complex... but not really technical or programming issues), but not all 3 at same time, this would be the best thing to make nothing.

But it seems this small snippet of code got far more feedbacks that the others, so maybe I should reconsider priorities.

But even so, do not expect new demo before an eventual graphist joined on board, because, as FrediFredo said, the game need improved graphs ,and new playing modes, options...

Oh, and of course musics & sounds, but someone asked me already how to compose for Jag.

This week, I needed to calm down after weeks of pre-RGC rush for S.P.A.C.E and hard night coding at RGC :D

So I didn't really think about it yet.

Guess I will also need to find proper names for S.P.A.C.E and Project W :D

Someone has their hands full! B)

Fadest    0

As it seems no graphist artist is available right now, I was looking at Reiner's tileset free graphs : http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.html in order to find some ideas.

There tons of sprites and element, mostly for RPG games.

I quickly built a sample with some of them in order to try what Project W should look.

What do you think of this kind of look ?

post-32-1229443867_thumb.jpg

The idea is to have a medieval look (battlefield with grass, probably less uniform, stone walls...), a small perspective..

Of course, this is just a draft.

Any comments ?

Fadest    0

I also thought of adding an extra wood palissade in front of stone wall.

Some "moving" army men on the wall could give an extra life to the game, great idea.

kuk    0

Salut

very nice gfx, juste two thing the mobil tower could not be in stone, may be the grass will be changed

Doctor Clu    0
Salut

very nice gfx, juste two thing the mobil tower could not be in stone, may be the grass will be changed

BTW now that I have the skunkboard, I would love to see more of this :)

Fadest    0

In fact, the last "screenshot" was just a tentative concept artwork.

But I do not have graphics skill nor time to convert it into sprites and integrate it into game.

The game have not been significantly changed since last RGC, I am still looking for a good idea for graphics representation that I could do myself, but have no real idea.

This is a kind of background running process :D When I will be ready, I hope to restart it and add into code some ideas I have.

Guest AJ64IMS   
Guest AJ64IMS
On ‎01‎-‎05‎-‎2009 at 7:25 AM, Fadest said:

In fact, the last "screenshot" was just a tentative concept artwork.

But I do not have graphics skill nor time to convert it into sprites and integrate it into game.

The game have not been significantly changed since last RGC, I am still looking for a good idea for graphics representation that I could do myself, but have no real idea.

This is a kind of background running process :D When I will be ready, I hope to restart it and add into code some ideas I have.

Hey Fadest, knowing that there's more talent at AA when it comes to homebrew games, perhaps you could ask to anybody to help you in making this a full-fledged game someday for the Jaguar? BIG Warlords fan here :-)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this