Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
Cyrano Jones

RAPTOR Basic+

OK, so you've tried RAPTOR Basic, and it's a nice step into the strange world of Jaguar development, and while it is perfect for beginners, it's a little slow for all you master BASIC guys out there more used to the likes of GFA and other more modern versions of the language.

Here is RAPTOR Basic+ - a compiled, high speed BASIC development environment based around BCX. Some of the RAPTOR Basic examples have been rebuilt in RAPTOR Basic+ and they now fly instead of crawling. We'll try and build on these in the coming weeks and months.

RAPTOR Basic and RAPTOR Basic+ will both continue to be worked on as they offer different levels of entry into the wonderful world of home brew coding on the Jaguar. They will keep the same revision numbers as commands and functions get added to both.

The latest version of RAPTOR Basic+ can be found here:

Ver 0.1.8 - http://reboot.atari.org/new-rebo…/…/RAPTOR_Basic+_v0.1.8.zip

Note: RBasic+ contains a 64bit version of VirtualJaguar - for all you people hanging on to crusty revisions of windows, replace it with the 32bit version.

MacRorie    0

OK, so you've tried RAPTOR Basic, and it's a nice step into the strange world of Jaguar development, and while it is perfect for beginners, it's a little slow for all you master BASIC guys out there more used to the likes of GFA and other more modern versions of the language.

Here is RAPTOR Basic+ - a compiled, high speed BASIC development environment based around BCX. Some of the RAPTOR Basic examples have been rebuilt in RAPTOR Basic+ and they now fly instead of crawling. We'll try and build on these in the coming weeks and months.

RAPTOR Basic and RAPTOR Basic+ will both continue to be worked on as they offer different levels of entry into the wonderful world of home brew coding on the Jaguar. They will keep the same revision numbers as commands and functions get added to both.

The latest version of RAPTOR Basic+ can be found here:

Ver 0.1.8 - http://reboot.atari.org/new-rebo…/…/RAPTOR_Basic+_v0.1.8.zip

Note: RBasic+ contains a 64bit version of VirtualJaguar - for all you people hanging on to crusty revisions of windows, replace it with the 32bit version.

Is there anyway you could create a list of steps to get this committed and into a Jag? I know this seems basic, but I am not getting how it all fits together. Admittedly, my skills have rusted, perhaps to nonexistence, but I would still love to play with it a bit.

Thanks in advance

-Mac

sh3-rg    6

I'm working on a tutorial at the moment. As it's BASIC and the idea is to get anyone and everyone involved or able to play around with their Jaguars, the first part doesn't even touch on rb+ at all, it's more intended as background reading to get even people who haven't written a single line of BASIC before into the right frame of mind regarding how the Jaguar does its thing (at least the bits of it someone wanting to have a go with rb+ need to get to grips with). It only gets as technical as reading through a simplified sprite definition and having people consider the possibilities.

The second part goes on to set up a full sprite definition file (it's a Raptor Object List, but the terminology throughout attempts to keep it all on the overly friendly side) and then goes into the beginnings of using that from within rb+. The only thing here is CJ suggested a much simpler and easier game to use for this, so I've decided to put this on hold as more something for the next stage of the tutorial (as it has much more possibilities for introducing more of the features available). So my next job is to rework that for the simpler game, which will require me to create the simple graphics assets and get the game up and running.

I just want to get people using it and discovering how powerful Raptor is, even via BASIC. That feels like it should be a priority because if more people could see the fun it can be as I have over the last 6 weeks or so, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all :0)

As I work through the various features of rb+, I'm putting bits and pieces together into a demonstration program as well. It's all but finished but requires a lot of fine-tuning to make it more slick as a presentation. I've also got a couple of my own game thingies I'm working on. But early this week, I'll be concentrating on getting parts 1 and 2 of the tutorial ready to put up here and on Atari Age. Probably on the Reboot site as well. It seems a bit selfish to tear off into the depths of rb+ without giving others the first leg up into what initially appears to be a baffling series of assembler source files and little in the way of documentation.

• Like 2

sh3-rg    6

Work is almost complete. There's a bit more content than expected so early in the project, so much so that that CJ suggested an area of the site be dedicated to all things rB+/Raptor rather than trying to cram it into forum posts. I've completed Tutorial 0 which is an overview of Jaguar in an rb+ context. Tutorials 1.1 and 1.2 are done and present the raptor list entries, building the lists and managing the assets via the new assets.txt file. There's a fully commented little game to go with this (as mentioned in the previous post, I switched and wrote a new one from scratch), and a description of a few of the less obvious areas I myself stumbled through and hope to ease others past much more smoothly. There's also some talk on the flow of game design using rb+, the best ways to begin and a few tips on setting up the .BAS file before any programming commences.

So tomorrow I have to package up the game project folder, create a page containing the BASIC listing for the site, make sure all the pages link together correctly, make a page listing all the rB+-specific commands for quick reference, list some links to other resources such as the BCX help site and then I think it will be ready to all go live.

The plan is to keep adding smaller little features that explore the modules and functions of rb+, along with a larger case study type game project that should hopefully pull in lots of this into one game project over time. That might even allow for development work from a number of sources, depending on who is interested and can be arsed :lol:

• Like 2

sh3-rg    6

Is there anyway you could create a list of steps to get this committed and into a Jag? I know this seems basic, but I am not getting how it all fits together. Admittedly, my skills have rusted, perhaps to nonexistence, but I would still love to play with it a bit.

Thanks in advance

-Mac

Here's a link to the thread with the details:

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=1195

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this