Jagware
rush6432

WDB/RDBJAG

rush6432    0

Does anyone have any information on which operating systems WDB.exe and rdbjag.exe are compatible with? Ive tried under windows xp only to receive a stack fault error from the program itself when trying to run it. Oddly enough it runs on my other computer with windows7 but it doesnt have a parallel port. Im assuming it works with windows95/98 without issues but id rather hear this from someone before tracking down a copy of that OS.

Dosbox doesnt seem to support LPT ports but the program does work under dosbox without a hitch.

Any suggestions or personal experiences anyone cares to share?

Zerosquare    10

It looks like it suffers from the same problem as the other Jaguar PC tools from that era (e.g. madmac and aln) : they work fine under Windows 9x, Vista and Seven, but crash under Windows 2000 and XP. There's no real solution AFAIK, except maybe running it in a Windows 9x virtual machine, but I don't know if the parallel port communication would work correctly.

LinkoVitch    0

I did use them successfully from Linux also, as long as you have compiled in a.out support into the kernel... and obviously use Linux binaries of the tools :)

rush6432    0
It looks like it suffers from the same problem as the other Jaguar PC tools from that era (e.g. madmac and aln) : they work fine under Windows 9x, Vista and Seven, but crash under Windows 2000 and XP. There's no real solution AFAIK, except maybe running it in a Windows 9x virtual machine, but I don't know if the parallel port communication would work correctly.

Thats what i thought. I did manage to get it to work on my windows 7 laptop which was odd, but i had no lpt port on that machine...

I like the idea of the linux route. if i cant get it working shortly, ill start looking into it. Rather run a good copy of linux if it comes down to it.

rush6432    0
You might want to try belboz's live CDs.

Seems to work ok :)

Got it to read stuff to the alpine but good god that thing is picky...

seems like any rom file or binary file i upload it dumps out with an illegal instruction which i KNOW is not the way these binary files are coded.

Not sure what is wrong. I do remember the last alpine i had never had issues like this. I also seem to be getting quite a bunch of errors when uploading (ie losing communication with the stub) Any suggestions?

Im sure someone else here has an alpine as well. If so please chime in with your thoughts :)

rush6432    0
SebRmv has one IIRC, but he doesn't visit Jagware often.

I think i figured out how to get reliable transfers with the alpine and newer pc hardware. I setup a 2ghz machine with ubuntu so i could use the linux dev tools and make my own dev environment. Found that i kept getting stub communication errors when trying to transfer to the alpine using (using read, aread, fread). Made sure to have th rdb.rc file with all the .db files it calls in the same folder as wdb and rdbjag. Also set the pprot (parallel port rate of transfer) to 9 instead of the default 4. Also set my parallel port to "EPP" Instead of ECP Mode in the bios.

All calls using "fread" Seem to work without a errors and quite quick! FIgured it post here if anyone happens to have the same issue in the future.

sh3-rg    6
I think i figured out how to get reliable transfers with the alpine and newer pc hardware. I setup a 2ghz machine with ubuntu so i could use the linux dev tools and make my own dev environment. Found that i kept getting stub communication errors when trying to transfer to the alpine using (using read, aread, fread). Made sure to have th rdb.rc file with all the .db files it calls in the same folder as wdb and rdbjag. Also set the pprot (parallel port rate of transfer) to 9 instead of the default 4. Also set my parallel port to "EPP" Instead of ECP Mode in the bios.

All calls using "fread" Seem to work without a errors and quite quick! FIgured it post here if anyone happens to have the same issue in the future.

Glad you're up and running & cheers for the post.

rush6432    0
Glad you're up and running & cheers for the post.

So am i :) Figured someone else might be able to use the info in the future to help troubleshoot.

Now i just have to see if i can get my broken skunk 3 fixed.... :( mini usb connector literally CAME OFF when removing the mini usb cord. never been anything but carefull with my electronics. Quite dissapointed to say the least...

sh3-rg    6
So am i :) Figured someone else might be able to use the info in the future to help troubleshoot.

Now i just have to see if i can get my broken skunk 3 fixed.... :( mini usb connector literally CAME OFF when removing the mini usb cord. never been anything but carefull with my electronics. Quite dissapointed to say the least...

Yeah, I had the problem on one of my skunk IIs, you're deffo not the first! That kind of connector sat on a bare board with no support isn't really meant for everyday use, that's why I've housed the new ones in a cart case (just a little dremel action required to make holes for the large, unused USB connectors). Drilling through the end of the 'handle' part of a jag case with the lead exiting here, after looping around inside so it can't be pulled on & break the mini socket off. Safety first :poulpe:

Zerosquare    10
Contact kskunk. I think he mentioned once there's a software patch you can apply, which allows you to use one of the other two "normal size" USB ports instead of the mini-USB one.

sh3-rg    6
Contact kskunk. I think he mentioned once there's a software patch you can apply, which allows you to use one of the other two "normal size" USB ports instead of the mini-USB one.

whoa, missed that one, just sent my b0rked skunkII to ggn for some fixxy fixxy :/

rush6432    0

Good to know there is a patch... I thought I was the only one that had this problem at first with the mini usb port falling off, but I guess not.... sent pics to Dan @ goatstore to see what he thinks... Sad part is i've only used the skunk a handfull of times (can count on two hands the amount of times if used it) and its broken already...

rush6432    0
Good to know there is a patch... I thought I was the only one that had this problem at first with the mini usb port falling off, but I guess not.... sent pics to Dan @ goatstore to see what he thinks... Sad part is i've only used the skunk a handfull of times (can count on two hands the amount of times if used it) and its broken already...

Sent Kskunk a pm and turns out there is no patch unfortunately.

Fadest    0

I had the same problem, fortunately, SCPCD repaired it. Kskunk told me that he could make a patch to use one of the other USB port (a modded BJL jag would have been required in order to flash the skunkboard), but he probably didn't write it as I found another solution.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.