Fredifredo

10 000 Posts ! Congratulations !

Orion_    1

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNDDD !!!!111111!!!!11!!!1

mhh, sorry, couln't resist...

SebRmv    2

10020 now :D

Zerosquare    10
hehe. So how does one get to see the other 6000? ;)
The "hidden" posts are either :

- in private "work" forums (for unreleased projects) that have 4 or 5 members

- vaporware ideas that may get completed sometimes in the next century

- forum administration stuff

- stupid "inside jokes" chatter :D

Basically, all the "important" stuff is eventually posted publicly, so don't worry, you're not missing much. ;)

Tursi    0

Not to be mean, as I've tried very hard not to feel slighted here, but there /is/ no important stuff being posted publically. In any given month, the only posts made publically are birthday announcements. Once every 2-3 months we may see an actual post about something jag related.

Even when you guys are doing releases, like Jagcode, you don't talk about it publically here. I raised that point at the time since I was really surprised that nobody said /anything/.

So either there really is /nothing/ going on, or you are not really aware of what forums are available publically. In the first case, I'm not really sure there's any value to having invited developers here.

Zerosquare    10

That's true, but there are several causes :

- unlike AtariAge or JSII, this is a development-centered forum, so the range of discussions is much more limited.

- most developers here have made the choice not to announce anything before it's almost 100% done (well, except for the JagCF :whistling:). The drawback is that it gives the impression that nothing is happening, but the advantage is that there isn't any pressure to release things, and nobody is disappointed when a project is canned.

- general chat about current projects (and sometimes not even Jaguar-related things ;) ) is done via IRC (channel #jagware on Worldnet). Most active people here know each other well, and feel it's more interesting to have the conversations "live" rather than posting. But anybody is welcome on the channel, feel free to drop by if you like (it's mostly active between 20:00 and midnight, CET).

That means that regular members may not publicly post a lot, but if you're a developer, here's what we have to offer :

- technical (and non-technical) advice from other developers

- a space to discuss about anything development-related

- a separate public or private forum for your project(s) if you ask for it

GT Turbo    5

Hi Tursi,

I understand your feelings about Jagware, Zerosquare has given some explanations about that.

Some people here are not Jaguar fans, but Atari fans, that means they work on some computers software too, personnaly i work on some ST/Falcon projects, i belong to the 'Cerebral Vortex Software Development' team ( http://cerebral-vortex.net/ ) and all free time can't be done to the Jaguar development. I'm working on a map editor, my biggest software (more than 27000 lines of 68000 assembler) that need a lot of free time and it must be finished for working on some Jaguar stuffs.

Some forums are private for letting development team working without any pressure, working like they want, we have seen too much developpers wasting more time to giving answers to people asking 'When it must be finished ?' than working on, that's why we use this kind of forums.

If you need a private forum for working, just ask moderators (Zerosquare, Azrael or me). We have used private forums too because some 'hot subjects' have gone in flamming forums (JagCF protection, .....)

Great work on the skunkboard ;)

Regards,

GT Turbo :poulpe:

Fadest    0
Not to be mean, as I've tried very hard not to feel slighted here, but there /is/ no important stuff being posted publically. In any given month, the only posts made publically are birthday announcements. Once every 2-3 months we may see an actual post about something jag related.

Even when you guys are doing releases, like Jagcode, you don't talk about it publically here. I raised that point at the time since I was really surprised that nobody said /anything/.

Well, as this board is mostly for developpers work, the most important part is hidden. When something pop out, there is a new, but basically, discussions occurs on others forum, with more visibility. Let's take Dazed vs (my small release after AC2k8) for example, I created topic on Yaronet and AtariAge because everyone here gave me their impressions during the Atari Connexion. GT thought this would be a good idea to have a news here, so he added it after.

Most people don't come here or do not even think to subscribe because this is mostly a developper forum. And brainstorming, technical topics or game design discussions migrated to private forum because this is more convenient. For example, I still don't uderstand certain remarks done on Dazed vs after release (but not on "officials" topics, so I didn't noticed them in time), so, I prefer to keep all my jaguar stuff private until hypothetical release. On the other side, I usually gave lot of informations on my Lynx work, alpha routines, ideas, even if some of them are just state of work and will never give something concrete.

Tursi    0

Thanks GT. I have my own forums for my private work. ;)

I don't know why you think people wouldn't be interested in talking about your ST stuff, or any of the other projects. Why does it have to be Jaguar centered. If it does, then that just reinforces my points.

Two years ago, Jagware made a huge deal about /this/ forum and invited all developers to come share in the discussions. I came, honestly I was looking forward to a technical forum. But there isn't any discussion to share in. Your reasons for that are reasonable and strangely oft-repeated but look at it from the other side - you're inviting people with a promise that is not being fulfilled.

Fadest, I was a licensed Lynx developer in '95, I eventually sold my manual off to people on the net, and these days I wish I'd kept it. I never got a project off the ground due to financing, but it was a lovely little machine and I spent a lot of time in the reference manual. :) None of your information, ideas, routines, etc, is visible here, though.

"Most people don't come here or do not even think to subscribe because this is mostly a developper forum" - that might be what a developer is looking for, you think?

That's fine, though. I appreciate your hearing me out and giving your feedback wrt explaining the status. Ultimately, it's a matter of trust. I will have to keep looking.

GT Turbo    5
Thanks GT. I have my own forums for my private work. ;)

;)

Fadest, I was a licensed Lynx developer in '95, I eventually sold my manual off to people on the net, and these days I wish I'd kept it. I never got a project off the ground due to financing, but it was a lovely little machine and I spent a lot of time in the reference manual. :) None of your information, ideas, routines, etc, is visible here, though.

Some great routines can be found in public forum, example how to rotate graphics with the blitter by SebRmv : http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=258&hl=

How to draw line with the blitter by Azrael : http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=261

Yes i know some old posts are in french, that's not very easy for foreigner people, but be sure, if you want help on some subjects just ask, there is a lot of people here who can help you, we are for sharing all infos we've got that's the goal.

Regards,

GT Turbo :)

Fadest    0

Basically, this is a Jaguar forum, I don't want to pollute it with dirty Lynx things :whistling::lol:

This is the same for other Jagware guys working also on other platforms (Playstation, Wonderswan, ...), all theses related topics are on other forums.

Well, which others forums ? Basically, my Lynx technical stuff (tutorals, trainings...) is mostly on Yaronet Lynx development forum (in french, sometimes in english when people come and ask).

I also posted some previews or mini games to Atari Age or JS2. Most of them are now published into Yastuna 1 or 2.

Well, it seems that I'm pretty lazy this year, just 1 small game to test free card graphics for Lynx and 1 routine that may become an engine for new games (a kind of tunneling using hardware Lynx zoom).

Would love to hear more from your past Lynx projects.

Fadest    0

OK, this will not be a technical topic, but I will try to keep alive a development log topic in public on my new project (no name yet : codename S.P.A.C.E.), explaining gameplay choices, where ideas come from, what is intended. even if this is not really Jaguar oriented but mostly game design oriented, I hope some of you will find this interesting.

See http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=620

Of course, if you want to participate and debate on the topic, do not hesitate ;)

Tursi    0

Good for you, Fadest!

I have to admit this is my first time by in several weeks, came to see the pictures from the show. ;)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this