Jagware
SCPCD

Jagcf News

SCPCD    0

Hi !

I'm working on the last hardware part of the JagCF before the launch of final proto.

This is both new boards for testing JagCF new hardware that are not including onto my actual prototype :

the first one : Spy Board (for spy the network with a PC)

- JagCF Network

the second one : Test Board

- new JagCF Power circuitry (to have a better efficiency)

- JagCF Network (because I haven't this onto my actual jagcf proto)

- Integrated Catnip

post-5-1189436172_thumb.jpg

Regards !

For me the Jaguar CF has allways been an interesting project, it is nice to see you are still making progress and I hope all goes well.

I heard that the CF has a network function the other day which was news to me as I was not aware of it being mentioned prevoisusly, what exactly is the purpose of the JagCF Network?

If it is for networked gaming will it be comaptiable with the existing Jaguar network specs and interfaces such as the Catbox and JagLink 2 or is it a totally new networking solution that will only work in CF to CF networks?

SCPCD    0
For me the Jaguar CF has allways been an interesting project, it is nice to see you are still making progress and I hope all goes well.

I heard that the CF has a network function the other day which was news to me as I was not aware of it being mentioned prevoisusly, what exactly is the purpose of the JagCF Network?

If it is for networked gaming will it be comaptiable with the existing Jaguar network specs and interfaces such as the Catbox and JagLink 2 or is it a totally new networking solution that will only work in CF to CF networks?

The purpose of The JagCF Network is to replace the actual jaguar network with many integreted features (network address, error checking, message with priority and other :)).

This is not compatible with the existing games.

CDoty    0
The purpose of The JagCF Network is to replace the actual jaguar network with many integreted features (network address, error checking, message with priority and other :)).

This is not compatible with the existing games.

If I wrote a telnet application, for example, would this work on the internet?

This could be a nice feature.

Zerosquare    10
If I wrote a telnet application, for example, would this work on the internet?

This could be a nice feature.

Not directly, as the network will not be based on Ethernet and TCP/IP.

But it could be implemented by connecting the JagCF (through USB) to a computer with an Internet connection, and running a "gateway" program on the computer.

CDoty    0

But it could be implemented by connecting the JagCF (through USB) to a computer with an Internet connexion, and running a "gateway" program on the computer.

I was thinking it might have been possible to develop an online game system, similar to Pogo, for the Jaguar. With an ethernet interface, all that would've been required is a wireless gaming adapter.

There is a company making a wireless USB connection, that may work..

Zerosquare    10
With an ethernet interface, all that would've been required is a wireless gaming adapter.
We did not choose Ethernet because we wanted to keep the network feature simple and easy to develop for. The advantages are that almost everything is handled in hardware (the software "stack" is very small), and the connections are made using inexpensive and easy to find audio cables (no hubs/switches are needed).

There is a company making a wireless USB connection, that may work..
The port on the JagCF is a "USB device", not a "USB host", so it won't work, sorry.

>and the connections are made using inexpensive and easy to find audio cables (no hubs/switches are needed).

on the other hand Hubs/switches & TP cable are almost a standard today and cabling are most probably already done in a house..

And having a Ethernet connection & perhapps some day an online gaming would open new doors for jag fans.. (that cant go to rgc/jagfiest for a quick game with a friend...could easily game online with them...)

There are actually werry neat, already made things, for "cabled ethernet network" ...

...I need to PM SPCD..

Anyway nice to see progress! =) (though i didnt understand that Spy thing... (is it for eavesdropping on communication? isnt that just a debugtool? or is it actually usable for something usable?)

cheers

/Sym

Zerosquare    10
on the other hand Hubs/switches & TP cable are almost a standard today and cabling are most probably already done in a house..
Yep... but I was thinking about improvised multiplayer tournaments at conventions :)

perhapps some day an online gaming would open new doors for jag fans.. (that cant go to rgc/jagfiest for a quick game with a friend...could easily game online with them...)
It will still be possible, and with the computer handling the Internet access part, JagCF games won't have to worry about things like proxies and firewalls ;)

Anyway nice to see progress! =) (though i didnt understand that Spy thing... (is it for eavesdropping on communication? isnt that just a debugtool? or is it actually usable for something usable?)
It's just a debug tool we'll use when writing the network code :)

TXG/MNX    0

But it could be implemented by connecting the JagCF (through USB) to a computer with an Internet connection, and running a "gateway" program on the computer.

aarrchh this solution is not nice, better to drive an ethernet box like lantronics or such directly from the jaguar. These are rs232c > ethernet convertor boxes... very cheap on ebay and work great. simple commands let you connect to another system over tcp/ip need only 1 port nr. The tcp/ip stack is in the box so don't worry about it. I did use it on my Atari 8-bit with serial interface and terminal package, connected to my provider and used PINE to read my e-mail overthere :)

info

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.