Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
GT Turbo

About sprites collisions..

GT Turbo    5

On Jaguar, we have everything for being happy except.......for the sprites collisions, so i will know if anybody has thinking on. Technics i am thinking are :

- Bouding boxes (Doing test on cube)

- Bouding circles (Doing test on circle)

somebody has something else ?

GT Turbo :blush:

Starcat    0

Hi!

Actually there are some other things missing for me to be happy on the Jag ;)

But that's another question.

I usually use bounding box.

Never used bounding circles and I could imagine, on the Jag this would be too slow in most cases and not really that useful.

Another thing that you could use is collision by using a sceeen buffer of some sort that you draw into and when there is a pixel already at the position you write to, you know that there is collsion. You probably know what I mean.

Although this usually is too slow and consuming more memory too.

So most of the cases bounding box is the best way I think.

Regards, Lars.

GT Turbo    5
Starcat :

I usually use bounding box.

Never used bounding circles and I could imagine, on the Jag this would be too slow in most cases and not really that useful.

By bounding circle, i mean calculate that :

rouding square((X1-X)^2)+((Y1-Y)^2) (Calculate distance between two sprites)

I think that can be a good solution, all the calculs maybe calculate by simple Gpu routines, it's enough fast even for a big sprite number, i never done it on a Jag, but i have to try

GT Turbo ;)

GT Turbo    5

With SebRmv, we will give very soon, a one pixel precision Gpu colision rout. It runs for 16 bits sprites, but doesn't take count of PITCH or REFLECT bit. Used method come from Patrice Mandin, except it doesn't generate mask (SebRmv nice optimisation ;) )

GT and SebRmv :hug:

TXG/MNX    0

I would like to see a routine that can do collision detection with 1 sprite and a register that can be read out to see with which sprites this sprite did have a collision. The most acurate collision detection would rule :yes:

GT Turbo    5
I would like to see a routine that can do collision detection with 1 sprite and a register that can be read out to see with which sprites this sprite did have a collision. The most acurate collision detection would rule :yes:

Very nice idea, but after some minutes of reflexion, the only problem will be that this kind of rout will eat a lot of time machine, a little example :

- two players firing something like 20 fire that will give 40 sprites

- 5 ennemys, that will do a lot of test and perhaps for nothing.

If somebody have an idea about that but without eating a lot of time, we will be happy, perhaps SebRmv has an idea ;)

GT :)

GT Turbo    5

Yes we do it !! THE sprite colision of the Jag is born !! SebRmv and me do it because nothing else to do (It's a big joke :P ). This routine is EXACT, yes no error in test, pixel test is done for being EXACT !!

Thanks to Mandin Patrice for the idea. It's a GPU rout, french and english docs are included.

THE routine : COLISION.ZIP

SebRmv and GT :hug:

TXG/MNX    0
Yes we do it !! THE sprite colision of the Jag is born !! SebRmv and me do it because nothing else to do (It's a big joke :P ). This routine is EXACT, yes no error in test, pixel test is done for being EXACT !!

Thanks to Mandin Patrice for the idea. It's a GPU rout, french and english docs are included.

THE routine : COLISION.ZIP

SebRmv and GT :hug:

Cool gonna check it out :) dit you also talk with Mandin Patrice about a port of SDL to the jaguar B) this would rule....

GT Turbo    5
dit you also talk with Mandin Patrice about a port of SDL to the jaguar B) this would rule....

Yes, we have talked with him about SDL, but that will be a very big work and we haven't any free time, and using Sdl, some people wouldn't use Gpu and Dsp, the best 'chips' of the Jag, that's why that will not be done (By Jagware) :) (Perhaps in the future, who knows !)

GT Turbo :rolleyes:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this