Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
GT Turbo

Shoot Manager ?

GT Turbo    5

Hi everybody,

Some days ago Mariaud give me this link :

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/bulletml/index_e.html

This is a shoot manager. I use the same kind of system for Opale (Ennemies trajectory manager). So i think a lot of people can be interrested by this kind of thing on Jaguar, so i have open this thread for talking about and writing it.

The first question is doing a porting of this one ? Or write another one ?

GT :poulpe:

hmm.. when i first read about it i felt like "is it realy nessesary why not just do this and that in asm"..

then ran the demo.. =) ...this is Supperb for a Shot-em-up!!!!! ...and offcourse a "must" if one wish to make zillion of shots... (and one should strive for that :)

havent looked at the code yet.. so dont know how much work it would be to port it to asm.. though i feel that that would be a must..

Similar thing might be used to make "VLM" style effects... well.. ?.. gaming would have prio 1 offcourse :P ..just saying...

porting:

...is it possible in an easy way? ...some text-parsing thing is not my cup of tee, but rather a dc.b + jsr's that do stuff with a list of spritepositions.

wrigting our own:

well the idea is good.. so one might have to do this to get a "jaguar version".. for mximum speed..

compatibility woudl perhapps be nice (dont know what one could get for free from that engine.so)

Nice Link anyhow!... verry interesting!

/Sym

GT Turbo    5
porting:

...is it possible in an easy way? ...some text-parsing thing is not my cup of tee, but rather a dc.b + jsr's that do stuff with a list of spritepositions.

writing our own:

well the idea is good.. so one might have to do this to get a "jaguar version".. for mximum speed..

compatibility woudl perhapps be nice (dont know what one could get for free from that engine.so)

For parsing i can write it in 68000 and it give a dc.b list, that's not a problem, except that will be a 68000 parser, so useable on a ST or a Falcon or on a PC under emulator. Because i'm a very big lamer in C :blink:

Yes a Jaguar version with maximun speed, if we take this decision, the only thing is which commands to implement ?

The first 'shoot manager' code will be written in 68000 and after a Dsp or Gpu version will be ported from the 68000 code, that's the fastest technic.

GT Turbo :poulpe:

as i understand it a parser would run through the ascii text and look for (human readable text, like) "action" .."fire" commands and do all that... to me thats a waste of time.. personally id rather see a clever datastructure (in already done dc.b format) for each effect, that calls specific routines that handles the shots... ? (ie convertion to micro-friendly code was already done)..

but on the other hand Im not doing a 2D shot-em-up game ..so i should perhapps "shut up" instead ;)

But it was so cool that i just couldn't do that :P

/Symmetry

SebRmv    2
as i understand it a parser would run through the ascii text and look for (human readable text, like) "action" .."fire" commands and do all that... to me thats a waste of time.. personally id rather see a clever datastructure (in already done dc.b format) for each effect, that calls specific routines that handles the shots... ? (ie convertion to micro-friendly code was already done)..

but on the other hand Im not doing a 2D shot-em-up game ..so i should perhapps "shut up" instead ;)

But it was so cool that i just couldn't do that :P

/Symmetry

Yes, I agree!

The script should be digested before.

hmm.. and another thought. dont know how collision detection is done in PA, but i can imagine that if such a bullet engine is done, it could fastly go complex & memoryconsuming if pixel precise collision is wanted.. with for example shots that are not just dots, but bows,fire-bolts or whatever shape based on a bitmap...

But i guess that is a later problem.... though it might be a good idea to plan ahead....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this