Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
GT Turbo

About A.i.

GT Turbo    5

A little point who can be a big point, it's about A.I.

Who know something in that ?

Because it's nice to got a lot of sprites, but if ennemy's are stupid that's not very interresting, so you know which technic to use for doing this better ?

GT :poulpe:

I think it depends on what type of game you are thinking of doing..

I mean if it is a sprite game, shotemup, then the classical "lets follow a nice sine curve.. I mean STICK TO FORMATION no matter what!" =) ...is the usual thing to do.

the "advanced" stuff then usually go for "the chase" algo. ie move the foe in the direction of the vector between player & foe.... (lets rename foe to alien, sounds much better =)

But thats is no A.I either...

A avp thingy would need some kind of "deterministic" algorithm (if i remember correctly(?..probably not). It needs to know of its environment, have properties like "good or bad" hearing to react if player makes sounds...

I mean it all comes down to allot of "IF player then Alien" segments..

Adding a random variable of what alien actually does in cases makes "intelligence" apperence.

Besides that there is offcourse the more advanced topics (the ones I read about).

Fuzzy Logic, for strategic games is verry interesting... would work for any "desision making" type of game... (ex. when alien should flee for his life due to the fact that he is beeing slauterd =) and stuff like that.

Even higher up:

Neural/nervous networks.. only way to true A.I ...alien will learn how you play and adapt, in the end get unbetable ;) ...depending on size of network offcourse...

This is also related to the problem of finding a path between to points... (that im sure the robot builder here knows allot about ;) ...and a path that doesnt get stuck... (seeing the scene as a "vector" field, or a hight map, and all things that are inpenetrable is either high or has vectors pointing away from them..

Ahh.. enough lunchtalk.. =) ..the short question would have been "What kind of game are you thinking of?"... =)

cheers

/Sym

SebRmv    2

Hello,

For finding a path, there is an algorithm called A*

For reflexion game like chess,... . The idea is that the computer foresees a certain number of plays in advance and gives a cost to each play. Then it chooses the best scenario for him (I believe alpha/beta is a way to do this efficiently)

For other games, I don't know :D

Seb

GT Turbo    5
I mean if it is a sprite game, shotemup, then the classical "lets follow a nice sine curve.. I mean STICK TO FORMATION no matter what!" =) ...is the usual thing to do.

And why not using I.A. in a shoot game ? That can be a new thing for this kind of game, who can give some surprise each play ;)

Somebody got some infos about I.A. ? Links ?

GT ;)

>And why not using I.A. in a shoot game ?

I did not say that one Soulg follow classical mechanics ;) ...I would defenitely do AI in a shotemup.

But one that does not require to much computing power..

There are some simple things that can be used to simulate "intelligence" and that is randomly choose a behaviour.

ie in a shotemup.. have a list of predefined paths for the aliens to follow.

IF the aliens die to fast, randomly choose another path for them to follow.

it will "appear" to be based on a choise that they understand they are dying to fast and need to change strategy to survive.

And it costs almost nothing in cpu power... just a rand% and some compares...

This is the simplest form of AI and for allot of "predefined path" things it works great...

UNLESS you are doign AvP2 ...=) remember "Bugs" are not intelligent (no matter what alien3,4,5,6,7,... may try to fool you ;) ...they go straight at you, every alien for himself, untill last one.. ant that is how it should be :P

(..no this is a joke, and i dont want to turn it into a avp related topic so dont start the flame thrower ;)

I will c if i can scan some pages out of a magazine and post them later, about AI... that explains the basics and in theory how to go beyond... (with some c source iirc)

cheers

The scans i mentioned.

OBS for personal, private use only! ...as a precaution its a pass´d zip.

articles are rather old, but a good introduction to simpler form of AI.

some keywords:

-deterministic chase algo.

-random logic

-Finite State Mashines

-Environmental Sensing

-Memory & learning

These are just quick intros into the topics so you can dig deeper once you learn what you are looking for in your specific game.

Includes some simple C sources.

/Sym

AI_GameDev.zip

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this