Jagware
theloon

Encryption Bypass Cart Still Useful?

theloon    0

I've seen encryption bypass carts floating around the net. Are these still useful given the utilities out there nowadays?

I don't give a fig about backup CDs. Just want development to go as smoothly as possible.

sh3-rg    6
I've seen encryption bypass carts floating around the net. Are these still useful given the utilities out there nowadays?

I don't give a fig about backup CDs. Just want development to go as smoothly as possible.

They're only useful for me when testing usually ULS) CD-R burns. CD-R is unreliable with Jaguar CD. While ULS is known good, if something fails to load I need to know if it's the burn or the contents. The hash check seems (to me at least) to be something the CD player struggles with most when using CD-R. I don't know whether something times out with a longer seek with CD-R for whatever reason, I only know what I see and that using the bypass avoids that and let's me see if a burn works with it, then I can try without knowing this.

Beyond that they have no use, they were only of use before it became possible to produce hashed discs.

Zerosquare    10
It doesn't look like the Jagtopus boards have 93C86-like save game support
They do. In fact they support both the 93C46 chips (the ones that are used in official cartridges) and 93C86 chips ; you can choose the one you want when manufacturing the cartridges. That being said, I don't know if anyone is going to release a Jagtopus-based game that would also be available on CD.

theloon    0
It doesn't look like the Jagtopus boards have 93C86-like save game support
They do. In fact they support both the 93C46 chips (the ones that are used in official cartridges) and 93C86 chips ; you can choose the one you want when manufacturing the cartridges. That being said, I don't know if anyone is going to release a Jagtopus-based game that would also be available on CD.

Thanks for clearing that up! That's very cool. I've been SOL trying to get a Skunkboard. As part of a homebrew commission I asked for a JagCD instead. So, at least I can test on a real Jaguar and then find out how to get in on the Jagtopus cart and programmer.

Only if you have no other way to boot an unencrypted CD although there are not that many of those around, the American Hero & Veruna's Forces demo cd's spring to mind although there are probably encrypted versions around now. I may be wrong by IIRC mine also has game save facilities, I have not tried to use it as such but it may function as a secondary memory tracker with an encrypted CD.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.