Jagware
Sign in to follow this  
Gunstar

Soul Star fix?

sh3-rg    6

Not actively. The game works and can be played all the way through (as CJ & Neo have done with the trainer mode active). But the corrupted videos need some attention to do the game justice - every corrupt frame needs touching up by hand. There's a few way to do this including reverse engineering the cinepak video end re-encoding it, or what Neo tried to do - capture it and edit it (results are obviously lossy). By far the best way would be to capture the footage using an emulator. VJ CD emulation is something that shamus will get around to looking at in time. Once VJ is up to the task, there's still a lot of work to be done by whoever is brave enough to hand-fix all those videos with glitchy graphics (the audio is not a problem, we've seen to that) but I think Neo & myself would give it a go.

Maybe by the time that is all done there will be some kind of jagcd replacement device using SD cards or similar and the game won't just crap out 'cause it's running from CD-R :poulpe:

Gunstar    0

So there's no chance of it being released with what has been done? It's got to be better than the corrupted version I've got, which by the way I've made it well past corrupted areas, I think to mission 8, IIRC, but I'd sure love something better than what I've got. I don't care so much about the FMV anyway, I just skip it.

There are plenty of Jag games out there with problems now, like Skyhammer for example, yet it got released anyway, and I'm very happy it was released as-is rather than not. In fact, I'm an artist myself and would be more than happy to help going through it frame-by-frame to fix it. Though while I do have the talent and will, I probably don't have the tools to help.

In any case, thanks for the answer...guess I'll go play what I have again and hope it's the 25% of the time I can get past the bad areas.

sh3-rg    6

No, if they do anything with it, it won't be a half-arsed thing - it'll be a 99-100% thing or nothing I expect.

The game is fixed 100% other than the two player mode, as sh3 said above, we're waiting on the video being cleaned up.

Ultimately it is Neo's call as to if it gets released or not - but if/when it does it most certainly won't be an incomplete beta. You'll be getting the full game.

Gunstar    0
The game is fixed 100% other than the two player mode, as sh3 said above, we're waiting on the video being cleaned up.

Ultimately it is Neo's call as to if it gets released or not - but if/when it does it most certainly won't be an incomplete beta. You'll be getting the full game.

I definately appreciate that, except for the "if" part, since I'd rather have something than nothing. I doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to play two player mode either...here's to hoping it gets done, and if not you guys decide to release the "improved" version in years to come. Thanks for the update. At least I have something and know some tricks to bypass some bad parts and get to later levels.

sh3-rg    6
Did NEO fix the Soulstar or is he still busy fixing the video part ?

he's busy with extracurricular activities.

Saturn    0

Hi, just wanted to offer my assistance in any way I could be of help. I'd like to see this game released too and since I literally do nothing all day at work but play Starfighter on 3DO, I thought I'd throw my name in the hat in case there was something I could do.

Kudos for the effort on Soulstar! B)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this